Follow on Bloglovin

Tuesday 25 September 2012

Thoughts on The Perks of Being a Wallflower and reminiscing over cherry pie.

Cherry pie

I finished The Perks of Being a Wallflower over a week ago so this post is very late. I've been really busy for the past few weeks and have only now had the chance to stop and think about the book. 

The two main feelings that I have on the book are that I really (really) liked it and that I wish I had read it when I was 15.

I had wanted to read the book for a while, so when I heard that it was being made into a film directed by the author Stephen Chbosky I quickly panic bought it. The book is short (230 pages) but the story pulled me in so much from the start that it seemed much longer and I definitely wouldn't classify it as a light read. The story follows Charlie as he embarks on his first year of high school and the entire book is written from the perspective of Charlie, who tells his story through a series of letters addressed to a friend (the reader). The story has far more depth than a typical coming-of-age and further layers of the story are revealed throughout. I loved the reading and play list that was developed throughout the book and it has definitely inspired me to re-read some of the books mentioned, especially Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs. While I could relate better to some of the other characters in the book, I found the central character of Charlie very  familiar and incredibly funny. I would happily recommend this book to anyone and I think that most people would be able to relate with some part of the book. Ensure that you have a pack of sticky notes at the ready for the quotes you will want to write down!


I've been thinking a lot lately about some of my favourite books that I read before I began this blog and I've decided that these books deserve some discussion. So I've decided to add little reviews on some of my favourite books in my next few blog posts. Two of my favourite books are Love in a Cold Climate and the Pursuit of Love by Nancy Mitford and I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith and I will be talking about one of these books in each in my next two posts. 

I am currently still reading The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls and I'm really into the story. I haven't read a non-fiction book for a while and I'm looking forward to seeing how this one pans out :) 

xx


5 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I looked around for a means of contacting you but couldn't find any means other than commenting here. I'm the author of a relationship evaluation book and am seeking additional reviews. I will include the information below so you can determine if the book would be of interest to you. Thanks for the your time and consideration.

    Marc

    Title, Keeping Score ~ A Guide to Love and Relationships
    Author, Marc Brackett

    Pages, 128

    Genre, Non-fiction, Family & Relationships.


    Amazon, http://www.amazon.com/Keeping-Score-Guide-Relationships-ebook/dp/B008T3UYBK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1345505318&sr=8-3&keywords=keeping+score+a+guide+to+love

    Goodreads, http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15981163-keeping-score-a-guide-to-love-and-relationships

    Author/book website, http://www.keepingscorebook.com/

    Other sites, http://www.squidoo.com/lensmasters/keepingscore

    email address, marc@keepingscorebook.com

    Reviews so far, http://www.keepingscorebook.com/reviews.php

    Book Summary


    The Keeping Score book is a common sense guide to relationship evaluation. The book starts with a series of questions that have been specifically selected for each gender as part of determining what issues are present in the relationship. Following the evaluation section the questions are explained in greater depth and suggestions for how these specific areas in a relationship can be improved are offered.

    The book itself is only half of the experience being offered. The non-book parts of Keeping Score are an interactive website and blog. The goal was to create a short simple entertaining read that readers of all levels could benefit from. The website and blog are designed to provide additional resources for those wanting more information and a personalized interactive experience - exactly what a healthy relationship should offer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I am a new follower of yours via Book Blogs! Your blog is adorable! I would love for you to stop by and visit my blog! I'm having a giveaway if you would like to enter.

    MaMa's Book Corner Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! Happy to have found your blog via Book Blogs. I recently read The Perks of Being a Wallflower and found some similarities in our reviews... I wish I had read it earlier, too! Happily following you, looking forward to more reviews soon.

    Here's the link to my Perks review: http://thereaderscommute.blogspot.com/2012/10/the-perks-of-being-wallflower-by.html

    Best,
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry for the late reply guys and thank you so much! I'm about to have a peak at both of your blogs :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mare- my email address is kayleigh5@live.co.uk if you want to send me some information on the your, thanks :)

    ReplyDelete